Last modified: March 9, 2020
At the beginning of each week, I will send home a packet of homework and 2-3 books for your child to read.
Your child will have the entire week to work on these assignments and practice reading the books. On Fridays your child will return his/her homework folder and books back to me. While the assignments can be completed at any time during the week, I do expect that the children will read on a daily basis for at least 15-20 minutes. Reading can be done by, with, or to your child. The books that I will send home don’t need to be the only books that your child reads, but I would like him/her to build fluency by rereading them during the week. Library books and books from home can also be used for nightly reading. If a book is too difficult for your child to read alone, you can do the reading & have him/her help track the print, and look for familiar words. The most important thing is to enjoy spending time together with a good book!
Weekly Assignments will include
- Read Daily for at least 15-20 minutes (to be recorded on a monthly reading calendar from the library found inside your child’s folder)
- Spelling practice (tests will be given on Fridays)
- Math Assignment
- Journal writing and illustrating
- Sight Word Fluency Practice
* Every Week I will put a journal page in your child’s homework packet. On the page students should record at least one new idea or interesting experience for the day. At first you can help your child to “sound out” words or you can write what your child dictates and let him/her copy the message onto the page. Later in the year, your child’s entries should be written independently or with minimal help. We are working towards writing a complete paragraph in 1st grade. The journal entry should be illustrated and can be colored with crayon. I will collect each weekly entry and put it into your child’s portfolio. At the end of the year, you can enjoy looking back and seeing how much your child has learned!
- Return Homework Folder
- Return reading books
- I will not send folders home over the weekend. Children are encouraged to read over the weekend.
For Your Information
- Children will check out library books on Tuesdays. You will want to remind your child to have library books in his/her backpack on Tuesdays before coming to school.
- If we have a short week or a Friday without school, students should return books & folders on the last school day that week.